Sunday, January 1, 2012

1900 - 1950

1900 - Sullivan County, Missouri Census

Bartlett, Addison Head W M Mar 1862 38 M 13 Farmer

Bartlett, Mary F. Wife W F Feb 1870 30 M 13
Bartlett, Ralph S. Son W M Jan 1888 12 S At School
Bartlett, Orpha A. Dtr W F Aug 1889 10 S At School
Bartlett, Earl H. Son W M May 1891 9 S At School
Bartlett, James E. Son W M Apr 1893 7 S At School
Bartlett, Isabel B. Dtr W F Feb 1895 5 S
Bartlett, "Infant" Dtr W F Apr 1900 1 S.
Pg. 1

Pg. 2

Actual 1900 Sullivan County, Missouri Census Image -

(Addison Bartlett’s family entry starts with Addison’s name on last line of page 1 and continues onto page 2.)

1900 - Stafford County, Kansas Census

Smith, Elizabeth C. 69 F KY (Widow of Solomon Bartlett & Liberty Smith)
Bartlett, James S. 36 M Farmer KY (Son of Solomon)

Bartlett, Malinda M. 28 F KS (Wife of James S.)
Bartlett, Harmon A. 7 M KS (Son of James S.)

Bartlett, Addison A. 5 M OK (Son of James S.)
Bartlett, Myrtle T. 3 F OK (Dtr of James S.)

Bartlett, Charles S. 1 M KS (Son of James S.)


Actual 1900 Stafford County, Kansas Census Image –

(Elizabeth C. Smith, widow of Solomon and now Liberty’s widow now lives in Stafford, KS and is listed on line 21. She had moved from Missouri with her son James S. Bartlett’s family. They now join her son, John and his family (not shown) in Kansas. James’ family census entry starts on line 34.)

In 1900 we see that Elizabeth Smith, widow of Solomon Bartlett and Liberty Smith, is now living in Stafford, Kansas along with her son’s John, James and their families. The rest of the Bartlett’s remain in Sullivan County, Missouri, including Addison and his family. Ralph (12), Orpha (10), Earl (9) and James (7) are all in school and Isabel (5) is at home. Another daughter, Clio would be born around 1904. This census also shows the first of several of Addison’s and later on, Ralph’s children who would not survive childhood. In my research, I came across actual death certificates on a Missouri government archive site. I’ve chosen not to include those actual documents here, but I will mention those children who were named. Regardless of how long they were with us, they were known and loved by their parents and siblings. These types of discoveries are very sad for me, especially having young children of my own. But having faith that they are now together again with their families gives a measure of comfort. One of these children, Winifred Elizabeth Bartlett was born to Addison and Mary on Christmas Day, 1909.

From Addison and Mary’s family Bible

Addison and Mary

Ralph, Erwin and Irl

Addison’s son’s Erwin and Irl and his brother James’ son’s Harmon and Addison. Neal Sinclair, son of Amanda (Bartlett) Sinclair is also pictured and incorrectly identified on the above photo as Clair Neal. His mother, Amanda was a daughter of Hugh M. Bartlett.



PRESIDENT: William McKinley (1897 – 1901), Theodore Roosevelt (1901 – 1909)

EVENTS: Queen Victoria dies (January 22nd, 1901), First flight by the Wright brothers (December 17th, 1903), The Russian Revolution (1905), San Francisco earthquake (April 18th, 1906), First Model T by the Ford Motor Company (September 27th, 1908), The Chicago Cubs win the World Series (October 14th, 1908). Geronimo dies (February 17th, 1909)


1910 - Sullivan County, Missouri Census

Bartlett, A. S. Head M W 48 M 23 Farmer

Bartlett, M. F. Wife F W 40 M 23
Bartlett, Ralph S. Son M W 22 S Teacher
Bartlett, Orpha A. Dtr F W 20 S Teacher
Bartlett, Earl H. Son M W 19 S
Bartlett, James E. Son M W 17 S
Bartlett, Isabel B. Dtr F W 15 S
Bartlett, Clio L. Dtr F W 6 S
(no name) Dtr F W __ S

Actual 1910 Sullivan County, Missouri Census Image -

(Addison Bartlett’s family entry in middle of page. Addison is listed as Bartlett, A. S.)

1910 Began an eventful decade for the family. Ralph is now 22 and sister Orpha is 20 and both would be about to depart the household. Both are listed as teachers. This would be the first time that someone in our line of Bartlett’s would list an occupation other than Farmer or farm-related work. Later in the year, Ralph would marry Floy Viola Albertson and start their new household in Sullivan County, Missouri. The Albertson’s are said to be of Swedish descent.

Ralph Sterling Bartlett and Floy Viola Albertson around 1910


Edward is born to Ralph and Floy around 1913. James follows around 1917. Sadly, their first son, Dwight J. Bartlett, born July 26th, 1911 died the following day, making Edward their oldest surviving child. Another child, Mark Sterling Bartlett, born October 18th, 1918 survived 2 months before passing. Both Dwight and Mark were laid to rest in the Green City Cemetery, Green City, Missouri. Addison and Mary had a daughter Lillian, who was born in 1900 and died soon after. Another daughter, Winifred Elizabeth Bartlett would pass away at just over 2 ½ years of age on August 16th, 1912. Winifred is buried in Holliday Cemetery, Pollock, Missouri. Both Green City and Holliday Cemeteries are in Sullivan County.
One other notable passing during this decade would be Elizabeth (Braden), widow of Solomon Bartlett and Liberty Smith. Blessed with a long life, she would pass away in Stafford, Kansas in 1915 at around age 85.

Elizabeth (Braden) Bartlett . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(1830 - 1915)

Ralph's son Edward with Mary playing with a dog in front of Addison and Mary's home. .

World War I was finally entered into by the United States in April of 1917. Amazingly, I did find Ralph’s draft registration card filled out by him on June 5th, 1917 at age 29. It shows that he was born in Milan, Missouri on January 16th, 1888. He listed his occupation as “Farming” living in Green City, Missouri. It also mentions his family status at the time (Married with 2 children, Edward and James). He listed no previous military service. Also included in the information are physical attributes of Ralph at the time. The image quality is pretty poor, but from what I can see, it appears that he describes himself as tall, medium build with grey (?) eyes, brown hair and he indicates that he has not lost an arm, leg, hand, eye, and that he was not physically disqualified for service. Thankfully, Ralph was not called to serve. After the signing of the armistice of November 11, 1918, the activities of the Selective Service System were rapidly curtailed. On March 31, 1919, all local, district, and medical advisory boards were closed, and on May 21, 1919, the last state headquarters closed operations. The Provost Marshal General was relieved from duty on July 15, 1919, thereby finally terminating the activities of the Selective Service System of World War I.

Ralph S. Bartlett’s actual draft registration card from 1917 (World War I)


PRESIDENT: William H. Taft (1909 – 1913), Woodrow Wilson (1913 – 1921).

EVENTS: The RMS Titanic strikes an iceberg in the North Atlantic in 1912, and sinks on its maiden voyage. Panama Canal is finally open, finished by the United States after the first failed attempt by the French (1914). Pancho Villa leads several hundred Mexican raiders against Columbus, New Mexico (March 9th, 1916). United States declares war on Germany (April 6th, 1917) and enters World War I which finally ends with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles (June, 28th, 1919).

1920 - Sullivan County, Missouri Census

Bartlett, Addison S. Head M W 57 M Farmer
Bartlett, Mary F. Wife F W 49 M
Bartlett, Erwin Son M W 26 S Farmer
Bartlett, Clio L. Dtr F W 16 S

Actual 1920 Sullivan County, Missouri Census Image -

(Addison Bartlett’s family entry in middle of page)

In 1920, we find that Addison is now 57 and still farming. His son Erwin (listed as James on previous census) is still living at home at age 26 and farming with his father. Daughter, Clio is the youngest at home at age 16.

Bartlett, Ralph S. Head M W 32 M Farmer
Bartlett, Floy V. Wife F W 28 M
Bartlett, Edward Son M W 7 S
Bartlett, James Son M W 3 S

Actual 1920 Sullivan County, Missouri Census Image -

(Ralph Bartlett’s family entry in middle of page).

Ralph is now listed as a farmer, leaving the teaching profession at some point before 1917 according to his draft card. Ralph and Floy’s sons, Edward and James are now 7 and 3 respectively. During this decade, John and James, sons of Solomon and Elizabeth and brothers of Addison, will pass in 1921 and 1922, John at age 67 and James at 58. Along with the passing of Elizabeth (Braden) earlier in 1915, this ends the generation of Bartlett’s that made the trek from Sullivan County, Missouri to Stafford, Kansas. There are Bartlett’s that still reside in the towns of Stafford and Saint John, Kansas to this day. Some of them, no doubt, would be descendants of John and James. In 1924, Wayne Locksley Bartlett is born to Ralph & Floy in Chillicothe, Missouri in Livingston County. The next census in 1930 will show Ralph’s family residing in Chillicothe in Livingston County. They moved from Green City in Sullivan County in 1923.


Wayne Locksley Bartlett



PRESIDENT: Woodrow Wilson (1913 – 1921), Warren Harding (1921 – 1923), Calvin Coolidge (1923 – 1929)
EVENTS: Decade known as the “Roaring 20’s” and the “Jazz Age”, Prohibition (1920-1933), Hitler publishes Mein Kampf (1926), a book that foreshadows many of the events in the 1930’s., Charles Lindbergh becomes the first person to fly solo non-stop across the Atlantic Ocean (20 May - 21 May 1927), Penicillin is discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming (1928), The Great Depression Begins (1929)


1930 - Livingston County, Missouri Census

Bartlett, R. S. Head M W 42 M Salesman
Bartlett, Floy V. Wife F W 38 M
Bartlett, Edward Son M W 17 S
Bartlett, James Son M W 13 S
Bartlett, Wayne Son M W 5 S
Bartlett, Viola Dtr F W 3 S

Actual 1930 Livingston County, Missouri Census Image -

(Ralph Bartlett’s 4th family entry from the top). 1930 is the last census currently available.


1930 - Sullivan County, Missouri

Bartlett, Addison S.
Bartlett, Mary F.

In 1930 Ralph, Floy and family show on the census as residents of Livingston County, Missouri. They are living in Chillicothe, while Addison and Mary remain on their farm in Sullivan County. Ralph & Floy now have a daughter, Viola, who is now 3. This brings their family to 3 boys (Edward, James and Wayne) and one girl (Viola). They would add another daughter (Marietta). Ralph has now gone from being a teacher to farmer and now lists “Salesman” as his occupation. Ralph held several sales positions during this time including working for the J.D. Adams Road Building Machinery Co. and also spent time as an auctioneer. This was during the Great Depression, the worst economic downturn our country had ever experienced. Farmers and rural areas suffered as prices for crops fell by 40–60%, so clearly this would not have been a good time to have been farming for a living. The economic struggles would continue throughout the decade and would not see much relief until the onset of World War II. At some point before or during 1936 Ralph took an additional job as he joined the Chillicothe Police Force.

Chillicothe, Missouri Police 1936 - Ralph is fifth from left.

Addison and Mary chose to retire from farming and move to Phoenix, Arizona in 1938. They held a public auction to sell their farm equipment, among other things before the move to Arizona. Their daughter Orpha and her husband had previously moved there. Son Erwin and daughter Clio would also end up residing in Arizona leaving Ralph and family in Missouri. Also left behind would be the portion of land that Solomon & Elizabeth had originally purchased in 1855. The 1930’s would also see the passing of three of Solomon and Elizabeth’s children. Harmon and Hugh would both live to age 82. Their sister, Nancy Payne (Bartlett) would pass at age 83..

Harmon was Solomon and Elizabeth's oldest son. The above page lists an incorrect date that the Bartlett family moved to Missouri (it was actually 1855, not 1864). Also incorrect is where they were from in Kentucky (They were from rural Monroe County, not the city of Frankfort). The picture of Harmon also shows that he suffered from a goiter. His son Bruce served in World War I in France.

Addison and Mary in their orchard.

Addison, Mary and Family

A.S. Bartlett Auction

Livingston County - Organized January 6, 1837, from Carroll County and named for United States Secretary of State Edward Livingston.

PRESIDENT: Herbert Hoover (1929 – 1933), Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933 – 1945)

EVENTS: The Great Depression runs through most of the decade. Air mail service across the Atlantic begins, Roosevelt’s “New Deal” programs aimed at economic recovery are begun (1933 – 1937), Rise to power of Adolf Hitler and Nazism in Germany(1933), Jesse Owens wins 4 gold medals at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, The Empire of Japan invades China as a precursor to Japanese invasions in Southeast Asia (1937), John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath is first published (April 14th, 1939), Start of World War II in Asia and Europe (1939).

1940 - Livingston County, Missouri

Ralph Bartlett
Floy Bartlett
Edward Bartlett
James Bartlett
Wayne Bartlett
Viola Bartlett
Marietta Bartlett

The 1940’s would prove to be a decade full of significant family events. The census for 1940 is not available, so I’ve just listed family members. Ralph ran for Livingston County Treasurer as a Democrat in the 1940 primary. Unfortunately, he did not prevail.


The front and back of Ralphs campaign card.

Ralph eventually ended up selling insurance and real estate from an office in his home. He was in business well into his late 80’s and reported his largest commission ever at the age of 86.


Ralph S. Bartlett Real Estate, Loans and Insurance letterhead

The Bartlett home in Chillicothe, Missouri with the “Ralph Bartlett Insurance and Real Estate” sign that was added in the 1940's.

Wayne Bartlett graduates from Chillicothe High School in 1942 and enlists in the Navy shortly after graduation. He served in the U.S. Navy as a Seaman 1st Class from 1942 to 1945 in the Pacific Theater of World War II on the U.S.S. Canberra. Wayne would tell of his time in the war when asked by us grandkids. He was very proud to have fought for our country and especially took pride in the branch of service (Navy) that he served in. He would tell us about the ship (Canberra) he served on and said that he had fired the big guns on the ship. We would always ask him if he had ever hit anything and he would usually just say “No.” And even if he had, I don’t think he would’ve told us anyway. Although he was proud to serve, he never bragged about the grim reality of war. His ship had been torpedoed during the war off the coast of Formosa. 23 men on his ship died as a result and I’m sure that had a big effect on him. He had saved a newspaper clipping with a picture of the severely damaged hull of the ship. Grandpa Wayne was a hero to his grandkids and he was always someone we wanted to make proud. What follows is some of what he experienced aboard the U.S.S. Canberra during the war.





Displacement: 13,600 Tons

Length: 673’5"

Beam: 70’10"

Draft: 20’6"

Speed: 33 Knots

Complement: 1,142

Armament: Nine 8” guns; Twelve 5" guns



The USS Canberra was a Baltimore class heavy cruiser laid down by the Bethlehem Steel Company's Fore River Shipyard at Quincy, Massachusetts on 3 September 1941. She was christened at her launching on 19 April 1943 by Lady Alice C. Dixon , the wife of the then Australian Minister in Washington and was commissioned on 14 October 1943 with Captain A. R. Early in command. Initially the cruiser was to be named Pittsburgh, but in 1942 President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered the 8 inch gun cruiser then building to instead be renamed USS Canberra in honor of the Australian cruiser HMAS Canberra which was severely damaged by gunfire and torpedoes from Japanese warships and subsequently sunk by USN warships at the Battle of Savo Island on 9 August 1942. On 12 October 1942 the ship was officially renamed Canberra. The battle of Savo Island was one of the first major naval engagements in the Pacific to feature a mixed force of U.S. and Australian vessels fighting side-by-side against the Japanese. The common sacrifice of the HMAS Canberra and other U.S. and Australian vessels and sailors was emblematic of our two countries' alliance, born in the grim early days of World War II. USS Canberra was the only US Naval vessel ever to be named in honor of an allied foreign warship and with the name of a foreign capital city.

CANBERRA departed Boston 14 January 1944 and sailed via San Diego to embark passengers for Pearl Harbor, arriving 1 February. She rendezvoused with TF 58 on 14 February and took part in the capture of Eniwetok. The cruiser steamed from her base at Majuro to join the YORKTOWN (CV-10) task group for the raids on the Palaus, Yap, Ulithi, and Woleai (30 March-l April), then got underway from the same base 13 April for air strikes against Hollandia and Wadke in support of the Army landings on New Guinea. CANBERRA joined with the ENTERPRISE (CV-6) task group for fighter sweeps against Truk, then bombarded Matawan, rejoining the carriers for further strikes on Truk (29 April-1 May).

After a raid against Marcus and Wake Islands in May 1944, CANBERRA sailed from Majuro 6 June to participate in the Mariana's operation, including the far-flung Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the supporting air strikes and bombardment to neutralize bases in the Bonins.
Following replenishment at Eniwetok, CANBERRA sailed 29 August for raids on the Palaus and the Philippines, and to back up the Morotai landings (15-16 September).

On 2 October 1944, CANBERRA sailed in company with TF 38 for air strikes on Okinawa and Formosa in anticipation of the forthcoming landings on Leyte.


On 13 October, only 90 miles off Formosa, close to the enemy and far from safe harbor, CANBERRA was struck below her armor belt at the engineering spaces by an aerial torpedo which blew a huge, jagged hole in her side and killed 23 of her crew instantly.
.Below is pictured the large guns of the U.S.S. Canberra, which Wayne fired during the war. Also included is a poem that was written by a crewmember about the events that took place on October 13th, 1944.



Friday the thirteenth, I never gave it a thought;

A day that I would never have sought.

We were eighty miles from Formosa Shore,

Two hundred thirty miles from China, and not far from Nippon's door.

After evening chow Air Defense Blew,

More planes coming in, which we all new.

"Thirty five enemy planes" the Skipper said,

"Our C.A.P. will make sure their dead".

We were almost sure that they would too,

But somehow, eleven of the Japs got through.

Seven came on our Port - coming in fast.

We opened fire and got two with our blasts,

The ships on our port got the other five,

The four on our Starboard started their dive.

One headed for the Wasp, but made too short a run,

He turned for our ship then dropped a big one.

Our murderous fire hit him, and made him splash,

But his torpedo struck us with a resounding crash.

It happened so sudden, but yet it was true,

For there we laid in that ocean of blue.

We express our pride to the Wichita and the rest,

Who protected us and pulled us away from that hornet's nest.

Our speed that night was two knots, and not much more the next day,

But still we were retreating farther, farther away.

Tugs came up the following day, and we started our run,

But we swore we would be back to sink the Rising Sun.

That same day a sneak came in, started his dive.

He'll not boast for we riddled and burned him alive.

Five days past and we were out of their reach,

Their planes could not touch us from their beach.

Admiral Halsey of the great Third Fleet

Sent us this message of the Jap defeat;

To the Canberra, Officers and crew;

"I am proud to be the Commander of you.

Your courage and guts will be a Navy tradition,

And my sympathy to the men, who gave their lives for this mighty mission"

George Shane Korey

Before damage control could isolate the compartments, some 4,500 tons of water rushed in to flood her after fire room and both engine rooms, which brought the cruiser to a stop. Then began one of the most notable achievements of the war in saving wounded ships. CANBERRA was taken in tow by WICHITA (CA-45). The task force reformed to provide escort for her and HOUSTON (CL-81) who had been torpedoed on the morning of the 14th. Retiring toward Ulithi, “Cripple Division 1” fought off an enemy air attack that succeeded in firing another torpedo into HOUSTON. Admiral Halsey (CTF 38) attempted to use the group, now nicknamed “Bait Division 1,” to lure the Japanese fleet into the open, but when the enemy sortied from the Inland Sea, air attacks from the rest of TF 38 roused enemy suspicions of the trap, and the Japanese force withdrew.

CANBERRA and her group continued unmolested to Ulithi, arriving 27 October, 2 weeks from the day she was hit. The cruiser was towed to Manus for temporary repairs, thence departed for permanent repairs at Boston Navy Yard (16 February-17 October 1945). CANBERRA returned to the west coast late in 1945 and was placed out of commission on 6 July 1946 at Mare Island Naval Ship Yard and into the reserve (Mothball) fleet at Bremerton, WA on 7 March 1947.


Christmas greetings from the crew of the U.S.S. Canberra

Seaman 1st Class, Wayne L. Bartlett of the U.S.S. Canberra in uniform

While the Canberra was being repaired at Boston Navy Yard in 1945, Wayne asked his hometown sweetheart, Rita Kinsella to marry him. She traveled all the way from Chillicothe, Missouri to Boston, Massachusetts and they were married on July 28th, 1945. Wayne was discharged from the Navy in October 1945, a month after the war had officially ended and two months after Japan had surrendered. The Kinsella’s are of Irish descent.

Wayne and Rita Bartlett

In 1946 within five months of each other, Addison Solomon Bartlett and Mary Frances (Halliburton) passed away in Phoenix, Arizona. Mary passed in July at about the age of 76 and Addison, the following December at age 84. They had been married for 59 years. They had six children (3 sons and 3 daughters). This left their son Ralph as the senior patriarch of our family, a distinction he would have for nearly 35 years.

Addison Solomon Bartlett

Mary Frances Bartlett (Halliburton)


Addison and Mary's obituaries. Note that they list Addison's location of birth incorrectly. He was born in Missouri, not Kentucky. Their graves are located in Holiday Cemetery in Sullivan County.

PRESIDENT: Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933 – 1945), Harry Truman (1945 – 1953)

EVENTS: The film Citizen Kane is released (1941), The United States enters World War II after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, George Orwell’s Animal Farm published (1945), Germany surrenders May 7th, 1945, Atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (August 6th and August 9th, 1945); Japan surrenders on August 15th, World War II officially ends on September 2nd, 1945, Beginning of the Cold War (1946), The Marshal Plan to rebuild Europe (1947), Joe Louis’ reign as heavyweight champion ends on March 1st, 1949.


1950 - Livingston County, Missouri

Ralph S. Bartlett
Floy V. Bartlett

Ralph and Floy Bartlett

Ralph, Floy and Family
[Back] Wayne, James, Ralph - [Front] Viola, Marietta, Floy, Edward

By the 1950’s, Ralph and Floy would be the last of our particular Bartlett line still residing in Chillicothe, Missouri. Wayne and Rita had since moved to Arkansas City in Cowley County, Kansas. Wayne would work for his brother, Edward at the Bartlett Seed Company and graduate from Cowley Community College. And, as you all know, they started their own family. This will now end nearly 100 years of our Bartlett history in Missouri, as the following generations would eventually settle in Kansas and elsewhere.


The Bartlett’s of Missouri

Family Tree

Solomon Bartlett
Elizabeth Braden

. .Hugh. .John. .Nancy. .Leah
. .Addison. .James


Addison Solomon Bartlett
Mary Frances Halliburton

Ralph. .Orpha. .Erwin. .Irl. .Isabelle. .Clio


Ralph Sterling Bartlett
Floy Viola Albertson

Edward. .James
. .Wayne. .Viola. .Marietta


Wayne Locksley Bartlett
May Rita Kinsella

Thomas. .Linda. .Larry. .James. .Diana